Storm's a Comin

Storm's a Comin

Sunday, January 2, 2011

More Than

I am more than these various parts,

more than the four hidden tattoos

or all of the scars, obvious and not.

More than the academic degrees

and where they were earned,

more than the affordable business

casual and thrift store neckties.


I am more than these blue eyes,

this graying, patchwork beard,

balding crown, receding hairline.

More than a lover, a brother, a son

More than what I myself imagine.


I am more than the man who

changes the cat litter, mows

the lawn with a push antique,

pumps the gas, feeds the birds.

More than a light sleeper,

a talkative drunk, tired.

I am more than a few extra

pounds and an overdue smile.


I am more than New York,

Stuttgart, Louisiana, Wisconsin,

more than my obsessions,

my cackling laugh, Magoo mumbling,

sports teams and Italian horror.


I am more than arthritic, more

than an inferiority complex,

a spiritual contradiction. More

than an occasional coward,

a patient soul, a garbage disposal.

I am more than annoying.


I am more than this relentless fungus,

more than these words, more

than spastic dances and karate kicks,

unlived dreams. More than satisfied.


I am more than enough.

4/15/10

No comments:

Post a Comment